Saturday, May 28, 2022

What's a heaven for?


The west-wall, floor-to-ceiling bookshelf in my room is compartmentalized into 62 sections, of which 59 are used for books. The picture is a composite of three of those sections. The upper shown section is on the left side of the bookshelf, one down from the top; the bottom two, horizontally adjacent at the top-right corner of the shelf. Most of these books are from Springer and were purchased in the book-buying mania of my 1980s (give or take).

Five of the books in the middle shown section are Berger's Geometry I and II, Weil's Basic Number Theory, Armstrong's Groups and Symmetry, and Gelbaum & Olmsted's Theorems and Counterexamples in Mathematics. They are all pretty much beyond my grasp and I was fortunate enough yesterday to be allowed to ship them to a mathematician who might actually benefit from their content.

No comments:

Post a Comment