Sunday, August 11, 2019

The big fix

In April 2017 I wrote an article on counting t-free ordinals that mentioned (at the end) an issue with Mathematica's then-just-released version 11.1 that incorrectly pluralized newly introduced number names for 10^102 (one "trestrigintillions") all the way up to 10^303 (one "centillions"). A stupid mistake (how did this get past the vetting process?) but an easy (say, ten-minute) fix. "I've alerted Wolfram to the bug," I wrote.

Versions 11.1.1, 11.2, and 11.3 came and went without the fix so I complained again about it (just short of a year after my first alert). Somebody at the Wolfram Technology Group thought it helpful to offer this workaround:

removePluralS[str_String] := StringReplace[str, "illions" -> "illion"]

I did not think to check version 12 when it came out last April. An email from the Wolfram technical support team on August 8 alerted me to the fact that the issue had in fact been resolved. So, two years!

No comments:

Post a Comment