Thursday, January 06, 2011

Computing power

How difficult might it be to calculate term #1124577 of A179066? For me, very. I've been running my program now for a couple of days and have only managed some 25000 terms. I can probably see my way to 100000 terms but, short of a significantly more optimized version of my search routine (and even with that, the search beyond would prove taxing), there it will end. Remember also that I am running two other copies of Mathematica in the background (my ongoing Ruth-Aaron pairs tabulation) and these will eat up available computer-clock cycles, reducing the Mathematica kernel's CPU usage to some 60% of the available 2 MHz. Have I mentioned yet that I could really use a modern replacement for my seven-and-a-half-year-old machine?

No comments:

Post a Comment