Sunday, March 22, 2020

My 500th Leyland prime find


This morning, after a four-and-a-half-day wait, I found my 500th and 501st Leyland primes. The above graph extends what I showed for my 200th find. I have now surpassed Anatoly Selevich's 475 such finds that he computed from January 2003 to July 2011.

Generally, I'm happy with the ongoing search. My 54 dedicated Mac-mini cores have been supplemented in the last few months by 6 cores on my old Mac Pro and 4 on a more recent iMac, which have been working on interval #8 to gain time on the overall computation, the length of which I now realize I did not correctly calculate. More specifically, the three Mac minis that have been working the upper half of interval #14 since early October 2019 were thought to complete their task by July of this year. Instead, they will run for a full year, until October 2020. In effect, that pushes the overall expected spring-2021 completion date to the fall of that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment